Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Unfurling!

There are few things more fascinating than to be able to watch and record the unfolding of the beauty of flowers in its various stages day after day. This Spring I had the good fortune of watching and clicking the various stages of the Alpinia Zerumbet flower right from the bud to bloom. This plant is a native of India and has – as told by wikipedia – spread to Brazil and other areas. The transformation from bud to bloom happened in a matter of a week, so I didn’t really have to be very perseverant in getting the successive stages on the camera. I guess it will continue to look good for few more days, and after that I am not quite sure what its fate will be, because, although the internet tells me that it bears lovely looking fruits after this stage, but my past experience has not been very good as the flowers tend to fall off.

19 comments:

Prospero said...

Your Alpinia Zerumbet is very beautiful. I don't have one in my garden (but will get one some day - tried growing one from seed last year and had no success). It is seen quite frequently in Bermuda.

Lona said...

How amazing that such beautiful blooms comes from that pod. The blooms are quite beautiful.

Aim said...

Wow, that was a great photo shoot--I never would have guessed what came from that bud!

Julie said...

How neat! I have not seen this plant before! It is wonderful...thanks for the succession of photos!!!

Tira said...

Lovely flowers. I just love the spicy smell of the crushed leaves. You can wrap food for steaming in the leaves and when you cut it open at the table there is a wonderful fragrance.

sweetbay said...

Beautiful flowers -- they look like tropical paradise.

Formosa T-house said...

It's special and beautiful.
For a " junior green thumb" like me, the way it came out of bud looked very unique to me.

Unknown said...

Just gorgeous and so cool to see in action.

Colette said...

Just found your blog. Browsed through all of your photos. Great pics! I'd have a tough time choosing a favorite. Great photography! Nice site.
xo Colette

Matron said...

That is just stunning to watch! I love to watch the banana leaves unfurling from their spiral. It almost happens before your very eyes!

Chandramouli S said...

I love following the progress of a bloom from bud too. It's interesting how such a small bud eventually grows into a riotous splash of color(s)! Great shots, GT!

Layanee said...

It is quite a lovely plant both in flower and as a foliage plant. Who would expect that bright orange and yellow center?

Unknown said...

Hi,

have started a terrace garden in delhi. Everything is in pots & am struggling ...any guidance will be welcome.

madhu

Naturalnightdew said...

How amazing and it is so neat

J.C. said...

What a stunning bloom! I have never seen a Alpinia Zerumbet before. Wish we have it here. Does it has any fragrant? Bet it attracts many attention!

Sunita Mohan said...

Oh! That's lovely! It almost looks like a luscious fruit doesnt it?
Is it fragrant?

Unknown said...

Beautiful blooms everywhere..I do wish I could plant all those wonderful flowers like yours..tks for sharing

Pat said...

Love the unfurling. More familiar using that term for ferns.

Lara said...

such a beautiful garden!!! congratulations

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin